Tuesday, September 4, 2012

In the Kitchen--Labor of Love

The long weekend was nice. Elliot had a 96 hour holiday leave and came to visit. It is always nice to spend the weekend with him, and I'm always happy that he can get a break from the barracks life.

He arrived Friday, to a crock pot of Coconut Curry Chicken over Basmati rice, and a very excited niece! She is always happy to see her uncle.

Saturday was spent at home for me. Elliot has an eye doctor appointment and Brian had work to do at the shop. Both were home for dinner, Veggie and Sausage Grilled Kabobs and Homemade Mac and Cheese.
Saturday night the Oregon Ducks played their first game of the season. They put a beating on Arkansas State. Oooooo! :)

Sunday we spent at home again watching movies. We went out to dinner and had some really good food. Elliot had ribs that were falling off the bone. Brian had a really juicy burger and I had Corned Beef, Cabbage and Mashed potatoes.

I woke up Monday with lots to do. I started by  making some homemade bread, which rose all day.
Next I made a snack of homemade Salsa and Guacamole. Finally I made dinner. Grilled Ribeye steaks, Grilled marinated chicken thighs, Caesar Salad, and Bacon wrapped cream cheese stuffed jalapenos (and the bread I made earlier). Dinner was delicious. It's nice to know that Elliot gets a home cooked meal every once in a while...and one that includes veggies!

So today I had leftover steak. Yeah, I know..the steaks were big and the boys didn't finish them.
So for lunch today I made steak crustini.


Like usual this recipe just came to me as I went along. It turned out SO good.

Start by caramelizing an onion in some butter. When onion is caramelized add in sliced steak. Heat just a bit, add a little red wine and reduce. When reduced down add a tablespoon of butter to thicken the sauce. Season with salt and lots of fresh ground pepper.

Slice your baguette and toast a bit in the oven. You can add some olive oil if you would like.
Remove toasted bread from oven and top with the steak and onion mixture. Top with a drizzle of blue cheese dressing and more pepper if you like.

Brian loved these. I may just have to make them again for a party sometime. It would be a great appetizer!






 

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Your meals always look so good. Lots of fresh ideas.

    ReplyDelete