Thursday, May 31, 2012

Homemade Protein Bars and Truffles

Brian has been working crazy hours at work, and a mixed up schedule. They have switched his shifts multiple times in the past few weeks. All the crazy changes have really messed up his eating schedule. Although I pack him a dinner (or lunch) to take with him, he often needs something more during his breaks. I thought that it would be a good idea for him to pack a protein bar. Something easy to eat on the go, but still giving him more than just empty calories. Since I am a coupon shopper, and protein bars are typically $1.99 each or more, I decided to look up recipes to make them at home.

Here are my first two attempts:

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Protein Bars

1 scoop Natural Vanilla Protein Powder*
2 tbs Honey/Agave Syrup
2 tbs Natural Peanut Butter 
2 tbs Chocolate Chips

This makes three small bars when pressed in a square container and cooled. When they were cooled, I cut them and wrapped each one in saran wrap individually.

The verdict: Brian said they were good. (Which means a lot!) I tasted it and it did taste like a peanut butter cup. :) 


Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Protein Truffles

1 stick butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teas. vanilla extract
1/2 cup Vanilla Protein powder
pinch salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Mix all ingredients until combined. Use cookie scoop to form truffle balls. Chill in freezer or fridge. 
Optional: Dip in melted chocolate.  

The verdict: These did taste like cookie dough. My only complaint is that the brown sugar makes them a little "gritty." Next time I will think about possibly replacing part of the brown sugar with powdered sugar or agave syrup. 

Overall I am pleased with my recipes and Brian has been happy to have a filling snack to take to work. 
The cost, also is pretty cheap considering I had all the ingredients in the house. Not to mention, there are no "mystery" ingredients added. 

Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment